Sunday, July 22, 2012

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Kitty Monkey.


This little monkey was made for a Radio DJ here in Ottawa.  She had seen my moneys when I made some for a "trade" during Live 885's Hockey Trade for which I got Hockey Tickets in exchange for Monkeys.... You can read all about it here in case you don't remember.

This little duder was made for her sister who has a fondness for cats. Naturally it was a case of "I can always find the socks I want when I am not looking for them, but the second I want some kitty socks....no go"  I found these on Ebay....and love them.  

Of course I only bought one pair.......sheesh.



Sunday, July 15, 2012

Painted Monsters and such...

Yes...it was time to paint some more of these...you know...what with not actually having any left....I tried to experiment with some different designs for the monsters as well as the octopi.....

Since a lot of them have sold, I am guessing the experiments went okay.












Friday, July 13, 2012

Let's update some Monkeys shall we???/


I am so in LOVE with these fruity socks....I regret that I didn't buy more when I was at H&M last...you know because Ottawa is the only city without one.....sheesh.  I am happy to report that all these monkeys quickly found some homes with a few little girls from the Urban Craft show last week...I hope they are being loved to bits.












Thursday, July 12, 2012

This Saturday!!!


It is actually every Saturday...but this Saturday I will actually be there!!  Come by and visit!!

Monday, July 9, 2012

Baby Monkey


Okay...it isn't a baby monkey it is a monkey for a NEW baby.  I loved these socks and when my friends had a baby girl I knew that this would be perfect for wee lass!!!

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Whatcha doing this weekend?

May I suggest wandering to Westboro and checking out the Urban Craft Fair?

Monday, July 2, 2012

The post in which Meeka connects with her Inner Home-Ec-ness

Now normally Ren and I would spend Canada's birthday deep in the woods surrounded by trees and water, but this year we have been so crazy busy at work that we didn't have much time to actually BOOK a camp site.  I was sad, especially since this weekend has been beautiful, but at the same time, am welcoming the break and getting all those things done that I have been putting off.

....including making myself a dress.

I'm not going to lie....I was a little nervous.  I haven't actually made an article of clothing from a pattern since my Grade 10 Home-Ec project where we had to make a blouse....and matching scrunchie.  (This slightly dates me huh...) When I picked the pattern for this dress I went for the "OMG-THIS-PATTERN-IS-SOOPER-EASY-AND-WILL-ONLY-TAKE-YOU-TWO-HOURS-TO-MAKE!!!"

It took me about an hour to understand half the instructions and I came very close to calling my Mum and asking her to dicypher the gibberish that they had written.  It then took me 6 hours to make the dress.

I have no idea where they got this "Two Hours" from.



But I digress.

What follows is a photo montage of my dress making experience.....enjoy!

The fabric...looking slightly better then the ugly fabric they chose for their dress
 Also...I don't think anyone would carry that bag, especially if it was in the same fabric of their dress.  I say that of course because my fabric is slightly bold.  I suppose of it was something a little plainer then it might be okay.  This means that all of you who are planning on making a tartin dress or one made of camo print...if you make a matching purse...I might make fun of you...but behind your back...

Uh...what?

Forget it...these instructions make no sense...I need orange smarties.

Let the pinning begin

This would be the moment I realized that I had pinned everything incorrectly and had to start again.  It is now also the moment I see I need to cut my bangs a little straighter.

Tada!!!!!!

This is me making the pleats that would make the boob-area better.  5 1/2 hours later I would have to unstitch all this and make the pleats bigger so that I wouldn't be able to see my belly button when I looked down the front of my dress.  Seriously...I don't think I cut this out wrong, but man...the 
gaping-ness of the neck region was a little much.

Cinching it.

Deciding that this was taking way to long...and that I needed a tea break.

Sew Sew Sew

Putting on the collar....like I said before...this would eventually have to come off again due to the awfully large gaping collar region.

Puffy sleeves!!  (not to the extent that Anne of Green Gables wanted...)

Sew Sew Sew

Moments later came the realization that I would be unstitching all that collar....No picture was taken...I was too mad.

x
Re-stitching the collar
(check out those sweet mint green fingernails...that would be the same colour that my grade 8 grad dress was.)

And the back is done!

And so is the front!!

....and so it is done...and waiting to be worn to my craft show this upcoming weekend.  Now that I have finished one dress I am fairly confident that I will be able to make anothing one.....in like 4 hours maybe....but I suppose now I will have to wait to find the perfect fabric.....maybe monsters next time....