....including making myself a dress.
I'm not going to lie....I was a little nervous. I haven't actually made an article of clothing from a pattern since my Grade 10 Home-Ec project where we had to make a blouse....and matching scrunchie. (This slightly dates me huh...) When I picked the pattern for this dress I went for the "OMG-THIS-PATTERN-IS-SOOPER-EASY-AND-WILL-ONLY-TAKE-YOU-TWO-HOURS-TO-MAKE!!!"
It took me about an hour to understand half the instructions and I came very close to calling my Mum and asking her to dicypher the gibberish that they had written. It then took me 6 hours to make the dress.
I have no idea where they got this "Two Hours" from.
But I digress.
What follows is a photo montage of my dress making experience.....enjoy!
The fabric...looking slightly better then the ugly fabric they chose for their dress
Also...I don't think anyone would carry that bag, especially if it was in the same fabric of their dress. I say that of course because my fabric is slightly bold. I suppose of it was something a little plainer then it might be okay. This means that all of you who are planning on making a tartin dress or one made of camo print...if you make a matching purse...I might make fun of you...but behind your back...
Forget it...these instructions make no sense...I need orange smarties.
Let the pinning begin
This would be the moment I realized that I had pinned everything incorrectly and had to start again. It is now also the moment I see I need to cut my bangs a little straighter.
This is me making the pleats that would make the boob-area better. 5 1/2 hours later I would have to unstitch all this and make the pleats bigger so that I wouldn't be able to see my belly button when I looked down the front of my dress. Seriously...I don't think I cut this out wrong, but man...the
gaping-ness of the neck region was a little much.
Deciding that this was taking way to long...and that I needed a tea break.
Sew Sew Sew
Putting on the collar....like I said before...this would eventually have to come off again due to the awfully large gaping collar region.
Puffy sleeves!! (not to the extent that Anne of Green Gables wanted...)
Sew Sew Sew
Moments later came the realization that I would be unstitching all that collar....No picture was taken...I was too mad.
Re-stitching the collar
(check out those sweet mint green fingernails...that would be the same colour that my grade 8 grad dress was.)
And the back is done!
And so is the front!!
....and so it is done...and waiting to be worn to my craft show this upcoming weekend. Now that I have finished one dress I am fairly confident that I will be able to make anothing one.....in like 4 hours maybe....but I suppose now I will have to wait to find the perfect fabric.....maybe monsters next time....